Thursday, August 14, 2014

I dug myself a hole and it will save countless lives

My favorite sense is sight. I've lost hearing in my left ear and I'm ok with that. I've lost my voice before and I was perfectly fine. I don't have a good olfactory sense already. Going without the sense of touch would also be horrible (ask a leper) but my most prized sense is my sight. If I lost my eyes it would be devastating. I value my vision. Now, let me ask you a question.

What do you see in this photo? What's the first thing that comes to mind? 



"Mark's helping to dig a hole."

And if you said that you would be correct. Some would say it's a trench. Technically speaking it's a drainage trench. Some wonder why a campus missionary is digging in the dirt. Some would say it's a waste of time. My response is "I'm saving lives."

Vision. I've seen the end and you haven't. Allow me to paint the picture.

We're not just moving dirt. We're not just digging a trench. We're not just excavating. We're building something. You see, someone (our director, Eric) had a vision. He had a vision long ago and he made a plan. He is now executing his plan. It's getting built, and they will come, oh they will come. We're building a mini-soccer arena next to the Chi Alpha ministry site here in Lafayette, and it's going to save lives.

The absolute best way that I could evangelize today was by digging a trench. I didn't share a message or open the Bible.  I didn't speak a single word to a non-believer and I didn't host a crusade or pass out a tract, but the Lord still used me in a huge way to further his kingdom. All I did was dig in the dirt. Our vision is to build a mini-soccer arena so that they will come. To play a game. To meet new people. To be introduced to Jesus maybe for the first time. For college students to come hear a message - the eternal message. To save their lives. There are days when I preach a message. Today, I dug in the dirt.

Vision. Without a vision and implementation of this project, countless students wouldn't be reached. It may not be done for a few weeks but the gospel preparation has already begun. Don't let a seemingly meaningless task disrupt the gospel message. You may not see the beginning from the end, but the Lord does. Trust him, be led of him and walk obediently. Some days you preach a message, some days you dig a hole and some days you play soccer, but they can all be for the glory of God.

Simple talk. Simple walk.

May you be blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment